Saturday, December 19, 2009

When backpacking through Europe, is it better to bring regular sized shampoo/conditioners or travel sized?

I'm leaving on a 3 month long backpacking trip for Europe in a couple weeks, and am torn between my normal shampoo and travel sized ones. I have long hair, so the travel sizes usually only last me 3-4 washes, 5 if I push it. Therefore, I know it's more cost effective to bring a full size shampoo, but it's heavier and takes up more space.





Anyone with experience in this area have any suggestions?





Also, if I bring the big one, I plan on sticking it in a ziplock bag to help in case of a spill...any other suggestions as to how to prevent a spill in the first place?





Thanks!When backpacking through Europe, is it better to bring regular sized shampoo/conditioners or travel sized?
Take small ones with you and replace at local stores as needed. It will save you space and carrying weight for other necessities.





These are easily obtained in local stores at reasonable prices, but you may not find your particular brand. Some items are sold in Europe under different names, if at all.When backpacking through Europe, is it better to bring regular sized shampoo/conditioners or travel sized?
If you really like the brand you use and are unwilling to compromise, get travel bottles. Some go up to 6 oz and that should last you enough for 3 months. However, shampoo and things of that nature are really easy to find in Europe, so since you're staying for that long, I would just buy my stuff there. To prevent spills, especially due to the pressure on the plane, just get plastic wrap, cut a little square, fix it securely over the opening, and screw on the cap.
Don't bother bringing anything like that with you, especially when you're on a long backpacking trip. The weight is VERY significant. You don't carry shampoo over there; you'll hit the local grocery stores for stuff like that. DO take a box or 2 boxes of ziplocks though.They're great! Get one box of the smaller ones and one box of the bigger ones. Then take them all out of the boxes, rubberband each bundle together very tightly then pack them in your backpack. Consider packing the smaller bags inside one of the larger ones. Rubberbands are handy too. don't buy them, just collect them. When you find one, throw it in the pack.





dboy
I understand how this is troubling you because I am experiencing the same problem especially cause you have to take soap,bodywash,face wash etc.


I leave next week and will be traveling europe for 4 weeks I found this really great product at Bass Pro Shops, it can also be found at any sporting good store or even walmart(anyplace that sells camping gear) Its a all in one soap you can use it for your hands, face, hair, washing clothes, and dishes. only a few drops gives you quick effective suds an 8oz bottle only cost me $3.99, so by eliminating these other products I am able to bring my full size bottle of hair conditioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment