Saturday, December 19, 2009

Why do airports only allow you to travel with small amounts of lotion, shampoo, toothpaste etc.?

This past summer, I went to Texas for 6 weeks with my brother and when we were going to go home to Toronto, we had a little trouble at the airport.


When we were at the security check place, my brother passed through easily, and he barely had much of a carry on with him (just a plastic bag). When it was my turn I went through fine, but when my luggage went through the scan, I ran into trouble. I had bought my mom an expensive type of lotion and I had a larger than allowable size of lotion bottle in my purse. So the security showed me the scan and said that I can't take that on board with my carry on. So I said, Im not trashing any of my lotion because I spent a lot on it. The security guard told me I could go back to the place where they take your baggage. So I went back quickly, payed 25$ for my very small carry on suitcase to go with all the other baggage onto plane. Then I went back to security, passed through and left with brother to go to our gate.


What I don't get is, why did lotion affect where my small suitcase should go. I had the choice of trashing it or paying 25$ and having it go with the other stuff. What's the difference of where there is lotion on the plane? I honestly don't get it. Im 14 and how could I be a threat or something with my lotion??! Anyone know why?Why do airports only allow you to travel with small amounts of lotion, shampoo, toothpaste etc.?
The airlines do not make the rules. The fed. govt does. You may carry all liquids you like ( except explosives) in large bottles in your checked luggage. In your Carry-on luggage you may only carry liquids in 3 oz. size bottles and these bottles must fit in one 1 qt. size zip lock bag. This has been in force for several years now...it is no secret. Just how many bottles of liquid do you actually NEED while on the airplane? Very few! You do not need large bottles of lotion, you do not need shampoo or creme rinse...most people carry all kinds of stuff in their carry on that they have no use for during the flight. The rules have to be the same for everyone, no matter what their age. Because a few people might try to bring dangerous substances on a plane, everyone must adhere to the rules.Why do airports only allow you to travel with small amounts of lotion, shampoo, toothpaste etc.?
Someone in Britain put chemicals in bottles that when mixed together created an explosive. I believe that occurred within the last few years.
Because a few years ago they caught someone with some kind of liquid bombing device in a lotion bottle or something. I can't remember what it was in so they determined for security sake that we cannot carry on any liquids, gels, toothpaste, etc that were over 3 oz. They also have to be in a 1 quart ziploc bag and need to be taken out of your luggage and put in the plastic bins when going through security. And only one ziploc bag per passenger. Before you fly the next time you may want to pull up security requirements so you won't get stuck again. You can not carry on lighters, scissors, nail files, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment